Sunday, January 20, 2008

Three weeks down...

and hopefully only three weeks more to go with this dreadful cast. I can't even begin to explain how bored both Ben and I are. He usually only gets to watch one 30 minute TV show a day - and now that he is in this cast and can only play with a few toys on his belly while I hold them, he is watching over 6 hours of TV a day. I feel like a horrible parent, but I can't find anything else for him to do that he actually wants to do.

Ben has become a huge fan of this show on Nick Jr. called "Yo Gabba Gabba". Figures, he likes one of the worst kid shows out there for parents to watch. This show makes "Barney" seem like some kind of blockbuster hit. Has anyone seen it before? YIKES! I taped about 10 different episodes on our DVR and it is all he wants to watch. He's become obsessed with it! When I go to the screen with all of our saved shows, he starts panting really loud (his only way of making noise and communicating) so I know that he wants to watch his show. If I pick something else, he continues to pant until his show starts. He doesn't do it when I go to the Guide button (the one that shows what's playing currently on TV) only when I go to the List button with our saved shows. Isn't he cleaver?!

I just hope and pray that these six weeks don't set him back dramatically with development -I just have a feeling they will though. Anyone have any ideas on things I can do to keep the little man entertained and help him learn? Keep in mind that he can't do anything but lay on his back and grab things propped on his belly with a pillow. Any suggestions would be helpful - I never knew doing nothing could be so exhausting!

3 comments:

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

I'm so glad you already have three weeks behind you, but I know you all have to be incredibly bored, especially Ben! I was in the toy aisle at Target earlier this week looking for something for Katie's birthday, and found myself trying to come up with something that might be good to occupy Ben. I was thinking something with lights and/or motion, that would keep his attention--but didn't have a lot of luck.

Since he's liking the TV right now, do you have any educational-type videos he might like? Has he seen the Signing Time series? They are great! We have about 10 different ones, if you'd like to borrow them or have us burn a copy onto DVD for you. Just email me and let me know!

Hugs,
Leslie, Arlin & Katie

Crystal M. said...

How about working on signing with him since he cant get away from you. I know Eva gets bored of me so easily sometimes and she just leaves.
Or do you have any of him baby toys yet like the ones he can lay under and hit with his hands?
I hope the next 3 weeks go fast and you get some good news.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

skeybunny said...

I was going to suggest Signing Time too (but Leslie beat me to it). Or Baby Einstein. Or Elmo (wait, that last one might drive you nuts too). If you want to borrow Baby Einstein DVDs or Elmo (these are all VHS), let me know.

How about a mirror? Evan gets really excited when we lay next to him and hold it over above us and make silly faces. Or an Aqua Doodle (if you have a way to rig it above Ben)? Amy M. swears by this with Max. I bought one for Evan...he's not as thrilled with it (but Jeremy and I are having fun).

Sarah