Monday, January 7, 2008

Vomiting AGAIN...

Ben is vomiting again. UGH! I just can't seem to figure out why. He was good for a day when we stopped his Tylenol with Codeine, but now he is back to it. He isn't as bad as he was last Wednesday, but still having trouble with every feed. We are giving him LOTS of little feeds throughout the day and night because Ben has trouble tolerating feeds when he isn't in a cast. The pump now takes 45 minutes to push 80 mls (2 1/2 oz) into his belly and we run his pump 15 times a day - but that still isn't working. Ben is fine when he isn't eating, only when he is and his feed gets towards the end does he start gagging and vomiting. If I sit by him and notice the look in his eyes right before he throws up, I'm able to keep him from vomiting by quickly suctioning his trach and then his mouth. I don't know if the one dose of Valium he is getting at night is causing him nausea or if the regular Tylenol every 4 hours is doing it.But, it seems to tie in with his trach secretions. As soon as he makes a little gurgle, he needs suctioned immediately or the vomiting cycle starts. Any ideas anyone? I'm grasping at straws right now. I will call his GI doc today when they open to see if they have any thoughts. I'm also going to see if I can do without the one dose of Valium tonight - I figure it is the best night to try and cut it out since we don't have a night nurse and either Mike, my mom or I will be the one with him and we know him the best. But any suggestions would be appreciated!!

3 comments:

amy and mighty max said...

Amy, what about posting on the listserv. I bet someone has had something similar...maybe just maybe.

Love, Amy and Max

Crystal M. said...

Hugs I hope he feels better soon, poor little guy!!
Love,
Crystal and Eva

Life is Great said...

Lucas went through a similar deal with his feeds in early december, we really just had to back off completely from what he was used to getting. Then after about a week or so and after taking him off reglan he bounced back. We know that glassy eyed look oh to well and did the same with lucas if he showed those "this isn't good" eyes to us.