
Ben had his 10 day follow-up with Ortho at the crack of dawn this morning. Since the appointment was early, we didn't have to wait very long. He got an xray first, then saw the doctor and finally had some minor cast touch-ups done (We wanted his toe out so we can put his Oximeter probe on it at night since wearing it on his thumb hasn't been working out. The doctor also wanted some of the cast trimmed around his bottom since it was cutting into him). Ben was NOT a fan of the saw used to make these adjustments. I think the vibration was too much for him.
The doctor didn't make any modifications to his casting angle and Ben didn't need recast! Hooray!! The xrays looked exactly like they did after surgery and personally, I think they look exactly like the break before it was set and cast. The doctor is comfortable with it though and said it is close enough to mend back on its own... so I guess I have to trust their judgement. Below are pictures - doesn't the break look the same before surgery and now??!?
We are to follow-up with another appointment in 4 weeks. If things are healed up , they will take off the cast then. The doctor really emphasized how things need to be completely healed before the cast comes off since there isn't any kind of brace or splint to put on a break like this once the cast is removed. So everyone, send some quick mend vibes our way!
BEFORE
TODAY
5 comments:
Great news!! Mend bones mend... ... Also glad to hear his feeds are working now too; hopefully when the cast comes off he can get back to normal on that. Well now that things seemd to have calmed down a bit for you I was wondering if you could tell what happened in the PT session that might have caused the break?
Your right they do look the same. Fast healing bones vibes being sent your way.
Hugs Ben,
Crystal and Eva
Mending vibes being sent your way! Wow, those x-rays are amazing--they make me a little squeamish! I wouldn't make a very good nurse, I don't think. :-)
Hopefully, you are getting all your bad luck for 2008 out of the way these first two weeks, and it will be smooth sailing from here on out!
Hugs,
Leslie, Arlin & Katie
Hi Guys, I'm so sorry to here about how your year has started, I can only hope it will get better. I can't believe how big ben is getting, or how long it has been since he was here in the RCNIC. He has come a long way since his days here. I hope all continues to go well with his legs healing and that his bone heal fast, and that you can get his feedings back on track. May God Bless You in all that is to come this year.
Kim S.
Hmmm...I'm not a radiologist, but those two xrays look pretty similar to me. Maybe the concern was that the bone ends would separate more than they were in the first xray???
Heal...heal...heal...Mr. Ben (those are our healing vibes).
Hugs,
Sarah, Jeremy, and Evan
Post a Comment