Ben's last day of preschool was yesterday. They had a party and an ice cream social. Since Ben is now able to work on feedings, I gave him some tastes of vanilla ice cream and whip cream. YUM! What a way to end the year.
Finishing his first year of preschool was bitter sweet. I'm so impressed and overwhelmed with how much Ben learned this year. He far exceeded my expectations and I never imagined he would work so hard for his aid. They really formed a close bond and we are really going to miss her over the summer. All the wonderful memories I have from this first year will be with me forever. And, I have also learned so much from this first year in school.
But, I'm also sad. Some of the team members will not be with us next year - and some we don't know if they will yet. All the friends Ben made at school will be moving on to Kindergarten (they are all 5, where Ben is still only 3 and has another year or two of preschool). We will miss them so much and they have become so comfortable with Ben. By the end of the year, his friends were fighting over who got to pull him in his wagon, sit next to him at circle time, etc. Some of the kids even sent home their artwork/projects with Ben because they wanted him to have it. You can't ask for anything sweeter than that!
We will definitely miss everyone and they will never be forgotten! I have a feeling this first year of school will stay with me forever. And thank goodness Ben's aid will be staying with us next year. She has been a blessing!! (Pics from the last day will follow tomorrow)
3 comments:
Congratulations Amy on his first school year! And yes, I know what you mean about it being somewhat bitter sweet. So glad that his aid will be with him again.
What happened with the eating...why did it change? Did I miss something?
I remember feeling like that too when Katie finished her first year of preschool--and it was even worse when she finished preschool altogether and moved on to kindergarten! It's hard to leave behind the people who make that first big impact on your child's learning. I am so glad that Ms. H will be with Ben again next year, though!
AAWW Sounds like a great last day of school. Also sounds like the kids in his class love him so much, I feel being around a child with special needs helps other kids learn so much.
Enjoy your summer hope to see you in July.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Post a Comment