Ben also saw his Ortho doctor to follow-up on his femur fracture from last December. The bone is completely healed with only a small amount of scaring. That is the good news. The bad news is the his bone is curved. They seem confident that over time Ben's bone will remodel itself into the correct position. His bone also healed rotated a little, so that too will have to remodel. And, we learned something that we weren't aware of. Ben's hip sockets are not where they should be. They see hips like his in their CP kids. The good news is that when he was put in frog position for one of the Xrays, the hip moved into the correct position. That would have been very bad if it didn't. But, they need to keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't slip anymore out of place. This hip socket issue was present even on his original Xray the day he had the break, so this isn't related. They also said that some of their CP kids do walk with hips even worse than Ben... that was my main concern. They didn't say, but I'm sure this hip issue only adds another challenge to Ben learning to walk. Not only does he have weak muscle tone and tight ligaments, a major break to add weakness in his legs, missing semi-circular canals (the part of the ear that controls balance), a small and damaged cerebellum (the part of the brain that helps with balance if the semi-circular canals are not functioning), he also has this hip issue.
I'm still holding out hope that Ben will be able to walk one day, but with all he has to deal with... I'm starting to wonder how he could possibly overcome all of that. It is just starting to seem like I'm holding on to an impossible dream. I just haven't been ready to accept that fact that Ben may never walk, and I'm still not ready to accept that.
He needs to see a different Ortho doctor in 4 months... one who specializes in Hips. There are only two of them. One of them was the previous doctor Ben saw who we really disliked. She seemed too busy to even take the time to look at his Xray. And, she NEVER even mentioned this hip issue and has seen his a dozen times. Needless to say, I choose the other doctor. I also have called to set Ben up for Hippo Therapy come Spring. I'm hoping that may help his hips and balance. Katie Kauffman does Hippo Therapy and her family says it has helped her a bunch.
Here are Ben's Xrays. The notes are more reminders and comments to myself so I remember what I'm looking at. You can click on the image to view it larger.
6 comments:
Thinking of you guys...
Bisous à Ben !
Alex
Amy,
I was just reading your updates. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving!
Angela
Glad to hear that Ben's nose is staying open, but sorry to hear his ortho news. Hang onto that hope that he will overcome this and walk someday. Our kids always manage to pull off miracles!
There are a couple kids on the CHARGE list who have the same trouble with their hip sockets. Aubrie Westmaas is one who comes to mind. You might want to search the archives and read up on her experiences with this--maybe it would give you some info and ideas.
I'm excited that you're looking into hippotherapy for the spring! I bet Ben will LOVE it!
Have a good Thanksgiving!
Dear Amy, Ben, and Mike,
Happy Thanksgiving. Hurray for the nose staying open. I wish ortho would have had better news for you. Ben has overcome some incredible obstacles to get to the things he does now. I wouldn't write off walking for him--he is one determined little guy. As Leslie wrote, our kids sure do pull off some beautiful miracles.
I wish you luck with the hippotherapy. We haven't signed up for any actual sessions yet, but the one time we put Evan up on a horse he flipped out. He's not a big fan of his spring horse in the living room either. It seemed like a great idea to us in theory, but we haven't been able to practice it :)
Hugs,
Sarah, Jeremy, and Evan
Ben has already done such wonderfu things and will continue to do so no matter what any one says.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Glad to hear the news on the nose. I have faith that Ben will walk, hang on to your hope. Ben will do great things and I can't wait to read about them!
Post a Comment