Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cast Away!!!

Yes, you read that correctly!!! Ben's cast came off today. I am still in shock. He was hurting pretty bad after they removed the cast and he moved his legs for the first time, but 30 minutes later he started moving his legs with a little more ease in the car seat. Once the stiffness wore off, Ben then started pulling up his pants and scratching his legs. He actually couldn't stop scratching them!! Skin was flaking everywhere in the backseat of the car. I'm sure it felt so good to scratch away!

And Ben is so happy! He has been laughing and playing on the floor for the past hour. He isn't moving yet, but I think by tomorrow he will try to roll again. What an amazing day!!! I am so thrilled to have my cast-free baby back. I use to focus so much energy wishing Ben would start walking that I took for granted his ability to roll. These past 5 weeks made me realize I need to be appreciative of his ability to move, even if it isn't walking.


Cutting the cast off - Ben was not a fan!

This is the cotton under the top half of the cast.

Ah, legs are free at last! I'm sure the cool air felt good.

It hurt whenever Ben moved his legs, so he kept them in the same position as the cast and feel asleep out of exhaustion.

So tired! (Ben sleeps with his eyes open)

11 comments:

Gramma Mo said...

Cannot tell you how happy I am that the cast is off. Everytime I looked at the picture on my desk with him in the cast, my heart would break. I doubt it'll take long before he is off and rolling. Way to go Ben!

Hugs and Kisses, Sweetie....
Gramma Mo

CorrieYoung said...

Yeah Ben!

You are too cute in your pics! You look like such a big boy laying there. I bet is was hard work to hold your legs just like they were in that cast for so long!!

The scratching story is the cutest. You go Ben!

God Bless,
The Youngs

Life is Great said...

Wonderful news!!! That sure is a precious picture on him sleeping, such a pretty boy... ..

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

That is such good news--we are SO happy for all of you! I can't even begin to imagine having to hold your legs in the same position for 5 weeks. What a trooper Ben has been through all of this! I bet he is so glad to be free of that cast and is ready to get back to moving!

Hugs,
Leslie, Arlin & Katie

amy and mighty max said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! I am sooooo thrilled for all of you...and especially Ben! Wonder what is going on in his mind...can you imagine? "Mom, what the heck was that cast all about...that was crazy!"

Much love to all of you!
Amy

Crystal M. said...

I am so happy he got the cast off!! I am sure he will be back to his old self before you know it. My friends son had a cast in Oct. and the doctor said he might not walk on his bad leg for awhile he was running out the door...LOL!
Give those legs a scratch for me Ben!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you Mr. Ben! I bet it feels so good to have that whole stinky cast business behind you...

Hugs,
Sarah, Jeremy, and Evan

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is going well. Hope everyone is feeling better.

Love,
Uncle Chuck

Miss N Cedie said...

I am so happy for you Ben! I bet you'll be rolling right along like before very soon!

Jennifer

Susie PSU said...

How is he doing out of the cast? I bet he is SO much happier!!

Catherine L said...

Congratulations to Ben! What a trial he's been through. About the Mickey, it's absolutely wonderfully discrete and yes, we've had a few visits back to the ER when it fell out in the absence of spare at times and on those occasions, they issued a Corflo which didn't work for us at all. Keep a check on the button in case it deflates which we've had quite a few problems with, but I guess it's down to the kid's stomach acidity, meds, who knows!