Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ben sat all by himself... SO HUGE!

We have worked and waited a year and a half for Ben to sit on the floor independently... and today he did it! I can't even begin to convey how exciting this is for us. Ben has such tight hamstrings and groin muscles that he struggles sitting and HATES doing it (this is due to the tone issues he has from his stroke).

We FINALLY found a PT who is so wonderful and taught us to start working with him sitting indian style, right leg over left (all the other PTs told us he really had sit long legged and not to work on indian style). Ben was gradually getting better and better but could only sit for maybe 2 seconds before he fell. This morning I tried once and he did better than normal so I went ahead and put on a show to distract him and sat him down. He sat for 20 minutes all by himself!! It was amazing and brought tears to my eyes. We got to show off for Grandma Deb too because as she walked in the door, Ben was still sitting on his like a big boy watching his show. Towards the end of the 20 minutes, we had to prop pillows around him because he would lose his balance and tip over.

This is by far Ben's biggest accomplishment! I was starting to get really worried about his sitting because our Rehab doctor said that if he isn't sitting independently by the age of two, studies show his chances of ever walking are slim to none. I owe this all to our PT, Kristen. Without her right over left indian style technique, we would still be working on a method that just doesn't work for Ben.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very, very proud of you Ben. I knew you could do it...just wish I could have seen you. Keep up the good work and when I come down and see you in a few weeks, maybe you'll walk to the door.

Love ya,
Gramma Mo

skeybunny said...

That is so GREAT Ben!!! You look so cute sitting up (you're cute lying down too, but you know what I mean). I'm so glad you found a PT who was willing to try something different. Keep up the excellent work!

Hugs,
Sarah, Jermey, and Evan

Anonymous said...

Ben, I am so happy to see you sitting there watching your video. What a big boy!!! Way to go. Auntie Noreen is so proud of you!! Keep up the good work. We love you!!

amy and mighty max said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! I am absolutely thrilled for all of you! It is truly wonderful, amazing, incredible to see Ben sitting up like the strong boy he is! WOW! I love it, love it, love it! Sooooo glad you caught it on camera too!

CONGRATULATIONS on a very big accomplishment...good work Russo team!

Anonymous said...

You look so great sitting up. Way to go Ben. The only thing missing now is that fishing pole in your hands waiting for the bobber to go under. You are doing so well and you are such an inspiration to us all.

See ya tonight.

Pap Pap

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Way to go, Ben!!! You look like such a big boy sitting there all by yourself! You brought tears to my eyes, too! :-)

Hugs,
Leslie and Katie

Crystal M. said...

Way to go Ben!!! That is AWSOME!!! Now come show Eva how to do that...LOL!!

Crystal and Eva

Miss N Cedie said...

Go Ben! I'm so proud of you! And you look so cute sitting there like a big boy :-)

Hugs from TN!

Love,

The Mock Family

Mary said...

Ben,

You are adorable! What a great job you are doing sitting. You are so kool! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ben, now you and your Dad can sit in front of the TV during football season and root for the Bengals.

Uncle Chuck

Anonymous said...

Aunt Jen said...

Oh Ben, I was so excited when Uncle Aaron told me about this....very cool! We are so proud of you and you couldn't look cuter in those pictures....It's hard to believe you will be 2 in August. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing you soon. We were thinking we might swing by and see you Sunday. We want to see this in person. :)

Love you sweet boy,
Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

Ben, You look so amazing and I'm glad you doing so well. We miss you here in the RCNIC. Keep up your good work.

Nurse Kim