Sorry for the delay in updating -- like expected, we spent a while in recovery and when we finally got to our room we were very busy with Ben. He is doing fine, just not feeling so great. The doctors (ENT & GI) were a little disappointed with what they saw during surgery. I'll try to do my best relaying the news.
GI-
They took a scope of his stomach and intestines, placed a PH probe, and did some biopsies. They found a problem area in the bottom of his stomach that hasn't been seen before. More than likely, it isn't a new problem... just not something they were able to notice before because it is very difficult to see. Ben has a web of extra skin where his stomach empties. His stomach does empty, but probably not the way it should. A regular barium emptying study (which is what we have had done before to test this) wouldn't necessarily show us what we need to know. We are going to have a different kind of xray test done to find out more. Based on those results, they will decide what needs to be done. More than likely, Ben is going to have to have a GI surgery to correct this. Also, GI wasn't able to place his PH probe in his nose. It is now in his mouth which is VERY rare and uncomfortable. They had arm restraints on Ben after surgery so he wouldn't pull out the probe. We took those off right away because it was just too upsetting to Ben. We were better off just trying to keep a close eye on his hands. He is doing much better with it this morning than we expected. We are suppose to hit a button and log every time he either gags (which was pretty frequently considering the tube is in his mouth), vomits or coughs. Needless to say, we are counting down the hours until that can come out!
ENT-
Ben's nose is once again COMPLETELY closed with bone and tissue. This is so disappointing! Ben has had so many awful surgeries to open his nose and only to find out that it is closed right up and he is going to have to go through this again. For the time being, ENT is leaving his nose alone until we can figure out these GI issues (this is why Ben's PH probe couldn't go down his nose). They also looked at his airway and it was a mess. His upper airway is much, much worse than before. Something is destroying his airway (they are suspecting it has to do with silent reflux, his stomach not emptying properly and his failure to swallow his own secretions or anything else). Hopefully the drool procedure will help some (too soon to tell if it is working). We have also been instructed to do absolutely NO oral feeds. Because of Ben's uncoordinated swallowing, this is only making his airway worse. And finding out what is going on with GI will hopefully help. They want to put Ben under general anesthesia every three months to follow the progress of his airway. His ears were also in pretty bad shape. We are going to have to see ENT every 3 weeks and have his ears cleaned out. This is very important to stay on top of or his cochlear implant could become infected. At least this doesn't have to be done under anesthesia.
With all this being said, Ben's trach is likely going to be in for a while and he will have some additional surgeries in the near future. As always, we take one step forward and 10 steps back. Just doesn't seem right that Ben has so much to deal with -- so many things wrong. But at the same time, I'm just so amazed with him that he is doing so well in spite of all he has wrong.
10 comments:
Ben you are so strong and soon that probe will be out. Like mommy said you will just take one step and surgery at a time and get through all this with the Lord's help. You are so wonderful and and such a miracle and blessing. Help mommy and daddy to stay strong with all those kisses you love to give.
Thank you Amy for updating the site. I know that was not the news you were hoping for but Ben is so strong and a fighter. He has wonderful doctors and the knowledge they have will allow Ben to continue to progress and enjoy life. And boy does he enjoy it!! You both are such wonderful parents. I feel so honored to get to work with him.
See you Wednesday.
Dana
Ben.....You have been through so much but are such a strong little boy that I know you will bounce right back like always. From the beginning, we have always said you worked at your own speed and when you felt like it. You are advancing so well that I have no doubt these are small obstacles that you will deal with when you are ready to. Love you lots...
Gramma Mo
I'm sorry this wasn't the news we all were hoping for. From being around Ben last weekend you would never know there were so many things he was going through. He's so happy, so much fun, such a joy to be around. It seems like a lot to deal with right now, and it will all take time to get through, but I think we all know how Ben will come out in the end.... like a true champ. We love you all.
Theresa
Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. It all sounds so overwhelming, I'm sure. Just try to take it one thing and one day at a time, and you guys will get through it. I hate to see poor sweet Ben go through all those surgeries and procedures. But they will help him in the long run, and he'll come through them like a trooper, like all of our little CHARGErs do!
Let us know if there's anything we can do for you guys. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Hugs,
Leslie, Katie, and Arlin
My heart is just breaking for you right now Amy. I am so so so sorry. All that news on one day when you were hoping to get encouragement. So overwhelming.
My heart is truly aching for you and Mr. Ben...please keep me posted. I am soooo irritated with Ben's nose! WHY does it insist on closing...I know this happens sometimes, but oh how frustrating! And yet he continues to make such great progress despite of all these obstacles. Wow. Wow. Wow.
We love you all dearly...
Amy and Maxwell
My heart is also breaking for you. Life is so unfair for these tough little kiddos! I pray things will turn around for Ben soon. Keep you the good fight and know that my family and I are praying for all three of you!
Give that tough little man, Mr. Ben, a big hug and kiss from his friends in Memphis.
Love Jennifer
I felt so lucky I got to see Ben yesterday. I too continue to be amazed at how he handles everything. He looked to play whenever he was feeling good. I too was hoping for better news but I am convinced he will get through all of this and we'll be fishing in no time.
Amy and Mike, you are doing a great job. Ben, with all the love and support you have I know things will get better. You bring us all so much job.
Love Pap Pap
Hugs to little Ben!! It must be so hard to see him all hooked up and not have any good news to show for it.
We will be thinking about you and I hope you are all home soon.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Little Ben -- you have already endured so much. It is amazing to watch you recover so quickly. These upcoming surgeries will just give you more battle scars to brag about when you are big. Love you bunches and plan on some more kisses from me tomorrow! Great Grandma Fritz says to give you lots of kisses too.
Grandma Deb
I had to stop by to check on Ben. I'm so sorry it wasn't the news we wanted to hear. After reading all of Ben's blogs, I can tell he is a fighter. Take one day at a time.
Praying for Ben,
Carolyn in WV
Post a Comment