Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mouse in the House

With all the holes Ben has in his shirts, you'd think I had a mouse in the house. Nope! Ben, like most CHARGErs likes to chew on things... Ben however only chews on his shirt collars. We have given him every alternative known to man, but he prefers the taste of cotton and especially when it is conveniently attached to his chest (I've even tried giving him old shirts to chew on but unless he is wearing them, he isn't interested). And if the shirt happens to have a puffy logo of some sort, that is just a bonus!! We've actually had to ban heavy sweaters (got too much lint in his mouth and caused him to have lint plugs in his trach) and shirts with buttons around the neck (I had visions of him getting a button lodged in his airway or throat and it looked funny to take all the buttons off).
This habit started last year around this time when he started chewing on his shirt sleeves. But once summer started and the sleeves shortened he moved on to collars and has stuck with them ever since. I am hoping the warm weather comes soon because we are running out of long sleeve shirts! You might have to click on the pictures to enlarge them in order to see the holes. Needless to say, I won't be taking Ben's shirts to the consignment store for resale.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww Caleb has just started doing that ever so slightly. So cute. cute pics

God Bless,
Brian, Sarah, and Caleb Hlebiczki

Anonymous said...

Aunt Jen said...
That is so cute...and I suppose there could be worse things to eat than cotton. :) We had to laugh at your parents on Saturday b/c we forgot Elle's coat and your Mom had one of Ben's long sleeved tee shirts that we put over her one shirt and under the green blazer. We could see the bite marks and knew Ben had stamped his signature on the shirt. Maybe that's an idea...make them to sell that way...it's his seal of approval. :)Love those pics. Had fun seeing you both today. Yea for sunshine! :)

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Ben, you and Katie definitely have a lot in common, including the shirt chewing! We have to avoid buttons, snaps, and zippers too. And a ribbon, picture, or logo only makes the chewing that much better! :-)

Crystal M. said...

Eva chews on her jacket sometimes.
I guess mom will have to keep her eye out for clearance shirts when she is shopping from now on so you have a fresh new stock in at all times.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva