We signed Ben up for Wheelchair Soccer this fall through TopSoccer. We are very fortunate that the location they play at is only a few miles from our house. Last Wednesday evening was his first practice and today was his first game. His team name is "The Rollers" and on game day they play each other. They even have cute little uniforms (we went out and bought some soccer-like shoes to complete the ensemble). Some kids ride in power chairs and other have buddies (or their parents) push them. Ben is the youngest and isn't too interested in the game yet. He does enjoy just being out there hanging around - as long as you keep him moving.
The TopSoccer organization is truly wonderful and everyone involved is so nice. I would recommend it to anyone with a special needs child. They have teams for all different abilities and ages. All the kids get to score and it is just so nice having an activity especially made to accommodate them and their needs.
Ben and his dad all geared up to play - boy was it a hot one today on the black-top.
Ben got the pleasure of kicking off to start the game -- and he did just that!
Ben guarding the goal... at least he was until he decided to kick off his shoes and distract dad allowing the other team to slip on by and score. (Ben ended up holding his shoes the rest of the game and occassionally would throw one when he got angry - I like to think he was trying to create a diversion.)
Sitting there holding the rope that marks the field was Ben's favorite part of the game.
12 comments:
What a great thing for Ben to be doing. I'm so proud of him!
Love, Aunt Theresa
I LOVE these pictures! That is so wonderful that you guys are able to take part in this, and have it so close to your home. I can't wait to see how the season goes! He looks like a little tough guy (yet so cute!) in his uniform!
So very, very proud of you Ben. Your Daddy and Aunt Theresa both played soccer from kindergarten on up....you are definitely taking after them. Keep in mind that your Daddy would stand out in the field and pick dandelions instead of paying attention, so if you want to take off your shoes and hold them - feel free to do so.
Hugs and Kisses, Gramma Mo
How cute Ben looks in his soccer uniform! I love the pictures!!
Jill
Oh my goodness...how awesome is that!?!? Love, love, love it!!! :) You go Ben, you go!
There's not a cuter goalie to be found. Distractions are always a great thing, good way to score. Dad looks like he was having a good time also. It's awesome that there are events for the special needs children. Ben's lucky to have such great parents to participate and try to find things for him to do. Keep up the good work.
Suzy
So glad to see Ben involed with TOP. I volunteered as a TOP coach years ago when I was in high school, and know what a wonderful program it is. Seems like a great activity for the whole family :)
-Gretchen
Aewsome! Love it! The pictures are great!
Love and God Bless,
Brian, Sarah, and Caleb Hlebiczki
Love this pics--this looks like so much fun! I need to contact the guy who's head of it this week to see if we can get Katie signed up. I don't think she'll have much interest at first either, but maybe if she has a buddy who will get her moving, she'll like it!
Oh my goodness!
How completely awesome is this?!
I love that giant ball!
I love that Ben took off his shoes!
(When I was four, I stood back to back with my friend to see who was taller and the other team ran right by us and scored a goal! You're in good company, Ben!)
Can't wait to hear how the season progresses! What a fun and inspiring activity for all three of you!
This is utterly exquisite to see. Truly wonderful. Special Olympics here you guys come (would love to join ya)
That is so cool!!! I wish we had something like that here.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva
Post a Comment