Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cleaning and Planting

Cleaning:
Ben had a dentist appointment on Monday and he did so well. I was worried he wouldn't cooperate because he just had his Ortho appointment the Friday before and they were rough with him. But he handled it like a champ! He let them look at his gums, scrap a little tarter off his teeth, clean his teeth, give a fluoride treatment and even get an Xray of his front tooth that is a little yellow and twisted (they wanted to make sure there wasn't an infection in the bone, which there isn't). Pretty impressive, huh?!?! All without watching any Mickey Mouse on his portable DVD player either.

Planting:
Ben's preschool room has a sensory table and they always have the coolest things in there for the kids. It is changed out on a weekly basis. This week has to be my favorite one yet! The table contains a bunch of beans and plastic flowers for the kids to plant. Isn't that so clever!! Ben was a big fan and it warms my heart seeing him playing in it (thanks Nurse Kim for taking the picture).

4 comments:

Kristi said...

LOVE that sensory table idea!

Gracie loves the dentist, too! With the exception of getting echos (she finds them incredibly relaxing), the dentist is the only other appointment she has that she likes! She loves all that input into her mouth... I wonder if Ben is experiencing something similar?

I am so sorry to read about your difficult day at the ortho appt. Leslie (as usual) says it so well...
It broke my heart to read your words about having to get "bad news" and then be the "bearer" to your husband.
Gracie hasn't had a stroke like Ben, but is still not walking and is now six... I will continue to hold hope, regardless of what we are told, that she will walk independently someday. I continue to hold hope for the shorter term goal (which may really be long-term) that she'll walk with assistance.

Hang in there... I know it's so heartbreaking to sit there and listen to doctors. But remember, they only see a glimpse. They cannot measure the determination of a child, the encouragement of his parents and his constant ability to defy all kinds of odds. You can... you witness it every day.

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Ben, you need to teach Katie some tips about cooperating for the dentist. It practically takes a crowbar to get in her mouth! I think a lot of that is all the past work she's had for her cleft, though, kind of like Ben's bad memories of ortho and PT. Our kids never forget anything!

Love the pic of Ben at the sensory table!

P.S. We just ran into your favorite school person, Ms. H, at the grocery! :-)

hannah m said...

I love this photo of Ben at the sensory table - what a cool springtime theme!

Crystal M. said...

The sensory table is AWESOME!! We have a sand and water table that I am always thinking of ways to use as a sensory table for Eva. That is a great idea and I just might steal it...LOL!
Great job Ben with everything!
hugs,
Crystal and Eva