Thursday, January 29, 2009

How we are passing the time...

We along with most of the midwest received an awful snow/ice storm earlier this week. Ben has been off school since Tuesday. He has been a tad bored just staying in the house, so we decided to make use of the snow tube we received for Christmas. The prep time to take Ben out into the snow took 10 times longer than the actual snow ride. Mike and I took turns pumping up the tube with a bike pump (Mike's work was closed on Wednesday due to the weather). This was after we were both sore and tired from chiseling the 2” of ice of the driveway. We kept on saying, “Ben had better like this” the entire time we pumped up the tube. Then, it took me a good 15 minutes to get him and all his stuff ready for the snow ready. It took longer than normal since Ben would cry every time I took one of his attachment items from his hands (which happens to be the light up stick and sign language cards today) to put on an item of clothing. Ben refused to wear his mittens so I grabbed the closest thing in the garage (a comforter) and threw it over him to keep his hands warm while he held on to his light up stick and cards (yes, he took them on the ride too).

Ben started fussing at first, but once we took off he was fine. Mike did most of the pulling but after 5 times around our backyard, he was beat (it wasn't easy walking in the snow and pulling the tube especially after the shoveling work out). I took Ben around once and then we decided to call it a day. I think we spent 10 minutes outside. LOL! But, Ben did seem to enjoy it and the pictures/video is priceless. My favorite quote of the sled ride came from Mike. As he was going around the house, he yelled “I can’t see him over the blankets, so if he flips out the back let me know.”

And ignore me and my mistake about the date. I'm still in December mode!

3 comments:

Crystal M. said...

So cute and you both are so brave to go out into the cold when you really do not have to...LOL! I have to get the sled for Eva from my brothers house, I keep telling them I want to take it because it has a seat on it and a buckle I keep forgetting to take it when I am there.
Glad Ben had such a great time.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

amy and mighty max said...

I laughed out loud with Mike's comment of "let me know if he falls out!" Too funny!

Love you guys...

hannah m said...

That is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Ben, you're adorable all snuggled up in your snow tube!

What a workout that must have been for you guys, Amy and Mike!