Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pudding... YUM or FUN?!?

Even though we have been instructed from ENT not to do any tastes by mouth with Ben (because he aspirates and his airway is damaged from that), I decided to give it a shot today. At our last pediatrician appointment, we discussed how kids that don't eat or have tastes of food lose the desire to eat completely and their taste buds start to dull over time. In addition, I just didn't feel confident that Ben would learn to coordinate his swallow and breathing if he isn't even tested (how do you learn to ride a bike if you never even try - even if you fall you still learn from that, right?!) And, since his airway is already damaged, can it get worse? Plus, we have the luxury of a trach and we know the minute food starts to go into his airway because it makes his secretions we suction tinged that color and we can stop the tastes immediately and suction him really well. The doctor saw where I was coming from and agreed with me. He said I could do extremely small tastes (like the size of a few peas). The first time I tried to give Ben tastes, he didn't want anything to do with it. I think he forgot what it was like to sample food. All he kept on doing was knocking the spoon out of my hand anytime I got close to his mouth. The second time I tried was this afternoon. On the menu was chocolate pudding - very small bites of chocolate pudding. Right from the get go, he seemed more interested this time. The pictures below document Ben's pudding journey quite well. He had more fun playing than tasting, but he did taste a little. I was thrilled. Oh, and nobody tell ENT!


Hmm, interesting. Tastes pretty good, but feels like something I can have fun with!

OK, let's tip this over and start the party.

Better than finger paint because I can taste it too!

OOoooh, this is MUCH better if I just dunk my whole hand in... why didn't I think of that earlier.
I think I'm going to need a bath.

6 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Wow good job Ben and mommy, I always say mommy knows best. Keep up the great work.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Way to go, Ben!! And I'm just as impressed at you TOUCHING the pudding as I am at you tasting it--Katie would NEVER touch pudding! :-)

Hugs,
Leslie & Katie

Life is Great said...

how cute! hope the taste test keep going well. Lucas has his first out patient swallow study tomorrow (first since his G-tube and nissin back in late June) I'm hoping we can start some tasting with him too!

Gramma Mo said...

Nobody knows Ben as well as his Mommy so thank you Amy for taking Ben that extra step with taste and touch.

That looks like so much fun Ben - wish I could have joined you. Hopefully will see you in a few weeks and you can show me just how much fun eating pudding (and making a mess) really is.

Love ya,
Gramma Mo

amy and mighty max said...

WOW! Pretty impressive...and look at those messy hands! That's pretty cool too. :)

YOu are a great team!

Love, Amy and Max

Miss N Cedie said...

I can definitely understand your frustration.

Love Jenn