Saturday, February 24, 2007

FUN with Finger Paint

On Friday, Ben and I were bored with being in the house all day. Towards the end of the day, I decided to try something new... FINGER PAINT! I was totally expecting Ben to hate it (he has a LOT of sensory aversion, especially with his hands - and won't touch a lot of things and cries when someone tries to make his hands do anything). At first, Ben just tried to avoid the paint. Then, all of sudden he was cautiously touching it (and then trying to eat it). But after I stopped him a number of times and signed "no", he stopped trying to put it in his mouth. He then started playing! It was hysterical. He was wiping the paint off of his tray, over and over again. Then, when I would try to suction him, he would grab me, the catheter, the suction tube and everything. It was the biggest mess Ben has ever made and I loved it. Just felt like such a little boy thing to do.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who sees signs of creative genius???? Seeing Ben play warms my heart and brings a smile to my face.
With much love,
Grandma Deb

amy and mighty max said...

LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!!

Those are some of my favorite photos ever of Mr. Ben! Thanks so much for sharing! And you're right, that is a big thing to overcome...finger paint feels weird to our kiddos!!! YAY BEN! That is huge! And I love how you enjoyed the mess! I can just picture the afternoon...congrats Amy!!!

(Those will be fun photos to scrap!!!) ENJOY!

Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

I bet you both had a great time! Something special about being able to play in gooey stuff. Wait till spring and Ben finds mud puddles to play in. What fun that will be. Amy, thanks for getting Ben ready to fish with Pap Pap. You know, putting those slippery worms on the hook. He'll be better than me.
That was great news about his brain report. We'll keep praying and having fingers crossed that things stay good for Ben.

I miss you Ben and hope to see you real soon.

Pap Pap

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

What cute pictures!! Ben, you need to give Katie a finger painting lesson. She STILL hates to finger paint! :-)

Hugs,
Leslie and Katie

skeybunny said...

Ben,

Way to jump right in there and get messy. Evan is still "tenetive" when it comes to finger painting--his inner artist is still being over-ruled by the "Eeeeew, but it's messy!" inner voice. Evan is moving forward with the crayon medium (Jackson Pollock, watch out!). Keep up the great work Ben!

Hugs,
Evan

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were brilliant Ben....hope to have one of your art pieces hanging in my home one day. A special thank you to your mommy for working with you and having the guts to give a 17 month old finger paints. Love ya both.

Gramma Mo

Crystal M. said...

That looks like so much fun!!!! I can't wait for it to warm up so we can go outside and do all kinds of fun really messy sensory things.
Ben as aways you are adorable.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Miss N Cedie said...

I LOVE those pictures! Way to go Ben! You look so happy and that brings a smile to my face.

Love Jennifer Mock

Anonymous said...

Great to see my favorite great nephew growing so fast. Quite a change from when I saw him in October. Amy and Mike, your doing a wonderful job and I look forward to my next visit.

Love,
Chuck

Anonymous said...

Ben, I work with your Grandpa Tom and I am in wonder by all the great things you are doing. You are amazing! Put some paper to it next and we'll expect a show soon!
I agree with your Grandma Deb - a creative genius has been born!!!

Take care,
Trish Buzza

Anonymous said...

Aunt Jen & Uncle Aaron said...

Wow Ben! You are quite the artist!
Maybe we should buy some smaller canvases and have him create a piece of art for his room....his own creation. That would be fun. And like Amy and Max said, you will have SO much fun scrapbooking those pics....paint, paint everywhere! Gotta love him....such a cutie!

Love,
Aunt Jen & Uncle Aaron

Unknown said...

im looking at ur archives and they r just so cute